Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Day of pre-surgery testing is over .. Finally

What an ordeal. I was up, showered, dressed and out of the house by 7am and on my hour long journey to the hospital. Luckily my sister went with me. I don't know how I would have handled it had she not been with me. I really needed the moral support and the physical help. The hospital is so massive I needed a wheelchair to get from appt. to appt. she did all the driving.

The first order of business what a chest x-ray. That was the easy part. I then had an ultra sound of my Gall Bladder, Kidneys and Liver. Then it was on to an Upper GI series to make sure my swallowing and digestive tract was in good order. That was all fairly easy. But then it was the one I was dreading. The Blood Gases.

Until you have had a 3 inch needle inserted into your wrist to find your artery I can't fully explain and describe the excruciating pain this causes. After the poor techs 3rd attempt I was in tears and shaking. I did forewarn her I was not an easy stick. I had one of these about 6 years ago and it was just as unpleasant then. A specialist was called to get the goods. So sure as anything a specialist had to be called again. He was very sweet and made a joke that the tech did a nice job getting the first patient of the day crying. I was hyperventilating a bit because not only was I dealing with the pain but the anxiety of having to be stuck in the wrist again. He decided to go into my upper arm to find an artery. Veins are all over the place .. Arteries aren't so easy to find. He was able to get the needle in the right spot the first time thank goodness. After that episode I imagine surgery will be a breeze!

I got to tour the Wellness Center which offers pool therapy and a gym for after surgery. The pool looks amazing. I really am looking forward to being able to get in it's deep heated goodness.

I had a visit with the Nutritionist who gave me the run down on what I can have the first week after surgery and then what will happen for a month after that.

Clear liquids then Pureed food for a month. No ifs, ands or buts. After that I will gradually increase items into my diet and see how my system handles them. It's a little scary but I am still very positive feeling.

I am also pretty excited because I can now get into a pair of jeans I haven't been able to wear for over 3 years. I just about cried I was so happy. With in the next two weeks I expect to break the 50lbs lost mark. I feel so good about things and my body is already starting to feel better. I can't wait to see how I will feel when I have lost a substantial amount.

I have to go meet with my Surgeon tomorrow and get more shakes so I will have a new total after that visit. I'll report back with the results.


  1. Ooo that blood gases bit sounds horrible! Sounds like things are progressing well! And congrats on the first 50!! That's got to feel awesome!

  2. Thanks Balou :) and yeah it was pretty nasty .. something I don't ever want again any time soon :(