Friday, October 23, 2009

My Version of French Onion Soup for One

This will make 3 servings.

*edit (I have been scolded lovingly from my British Chef Confidant that my soup isn't nearly dark enough ... which means I didn't cook the onions long enough to caramelize properly ... I'll get it right next time lol)

I didn't want to make a whole big batch of soup so I threw this together and it was mighty tasty.

2 med Onions or 1 really large one ... sliced thinly
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs flour
1 tsp sugar
3 beef bouillon cubes
3 cups boiling water

Saute Onions in oil until tender and opaque. Sprinkle with sugar half way through cooking to help caramelization

Add Bouillon cubes to boiling water to dissolve

add flour to onions and stir constantly for a few minutes .. to cook out the flour taste

pour in water/bouillon cube mix

Bring to a boil , turn down and let simmer for about 15 minutes to bring all the flavors together

I didn't add any salt. The salt content in the beef cubes was enough for me. I did add a little fresh ground pepper

I don't eat bread so I just shaved some cheese into the middle of the bowl and it was might good.

Red Kittie Kat


This makes a good 3 servings of one cup each for me. A great little lunch for the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment